Saturday, June 13, 2009

Angoras Can Fool You

Wyatt as a junior.
Wyatt winning Best in Show.

G. C. Pearly Mae in show coat.
Well, just when you think breeding a white bunny to a colored bunny will only give you white babies, they come along and fool you. Pearly Mae who comes from a white father and has much white in her background and has given me white in her litter before. She was re-bred to G.C. B.I.S. Wyatt and there is not one white baby in the litter, not one. The colored bunny gods must be feeling sorry for me that there are 13 REW babies at my house. There are torts and blue babies and all 8 are doing well. I am excited with the blue as there is blue in the last 3 litters that were born here. Blue and black being the favorite colors around here.
Mom is a little worn out as she had a harder time of it then usual. She had one little baby on the wire at 9am and then didn't have any more. I could feel them in there so I let her run around on the floor for awhile. This got things moving and she had 7 more in the nest box at 9 pm. There was a very large one with a big head and this was probably the hold up. They are very active and really cute.
The other litters all have their eyes opening and have that funny, half-focused look. They sure do recognize my voice at feeding time. I keep the nest boxes in the house and put mom in them with a towel over her to feed. I do this until the babies are big enough to manage the cage floor. This gives the mom a chance to rest and recooperate. The babies don't seem to mind being in the house either.


No comments: