Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Over to the Dark Side

Oh No! I actually bought yarn.
My very wavy knitting.

They do make a pretty pile.
After almost twenty years of having angora rabbits, I finally asked my Mother to teach me how to knit. Horrors, this is from someone that used to throw away her angora wool. It is all Donna McGraw's fault. She said "We know how to knit but we need to learn how to cast on." So I said I would get my Mother to explain it. She could make a diagram or something. The next thing you know she is "making" me knit.
Now mind you, my Mother is a very talented knitter, seamstress and cross-stitcher. My Mom has offered to teach me to knit before but I never really had the time. I am also very un-coordinated, having been throw out of ballet class, at age six, for going in the wrong direction too many times. But ok, I would learn how to cast on so that my friend and her children could become expert knitters.
Well, the casting on went fine. I have a talent for casting on. It's when the rest of the knitting happens that I get into trouble. Remember the whole wrong direction thing. It kicks in when I am knitting. To add to the trouble, my Mom taught me on wood needles and gave me some metal needles to practice on. They are like knitting on ice. You can see, in the photos, my imitation of the ocean waves with my practice knitting. So I thought that if I got some wood needles at the craft store, I would have an easier time practicing. But the yarns were all 25% off and all the colors were so pretty and they were so soft, so now I am in big trouble. Apparently, the person that dies with the most yarn wins? Anyway, that is what all the ladies buying yarn were saying. You are in big trouble, Donna McGraw!


2 comments:

Donna M said...

Oh No -- Did I lead another innocent friend astray? The same thing is happening at my house - but the collecting not the production! Just ordered more alpaca. Get those knitting needles humming - I'm making something for you. Helpful Hint: Sharpie an R & L on the toes of your shoes (I know it helps from experience).

Whitney said...

Good luck on your knitting project Dru!!! You'll get the hang of it very soon. I have some beautiful yarn from Ruby's wool just sitting around, your post is inspring me to make something with it :)