Saturday, August 21, 2010

Jersey Wooly Sweeps

GC CR Conspiracy Theory (following photos by Donna McGraw)
GC CR Blue Skies with her Best Reserve.

GC CR Blue Skies official photo


GC CR Ice Maiden and GC CR White Excitement
What a whirlwind year. I always said I would never show more that one breed because of the devotion needed to be the best at it. After having angoras for 20 years, I just felt I wasn't progressing. Being somewhat discouraged with the angoras and watching newer breeders excel way past me, I needed a boost or a new interest. Jersey Woolies have been in and out of our lives for some of those years and I thought that it may be time to bring them back again. Teasing that they are my retirement bunnies as they are small and much more portable, I started working on them about 3 years ago but never showed them. I wanted them to be the best that they could be before I brought them out in public. Billy Miller came along and helped me with my dream. He always had the most beautiful woolies and was selling out alot of his show stock. These are some of the bunnies above that came to live with me and made my first year of showing woolies so successful. Winning a Reserve in Show with Blue Skies put the icing on the cake. I was also happy with my own lines, much to my surprise, granding 3 and winning many BOB with home grown stock. The final JW Sweepstakes report is out and I couldn't be happier with the results considering this is really my first year of showing woolies.
#20 Overall (out of the 156 listed)
#7 in District 9 (with some of the top breeders in the country)
#17 in Herdsman points ( Not sure how they figure this out)
#20 in Awards of Excellence (BOB & BOS points out of 114 listed)
#18 Rabbit of the year (with 8 of my rabbits listed out of 467)
This has also helped me with my angoras somehow, by putting a fire under me, and they did very well this year also. These are two of the sweetest breeds and I just adore both of them. I am much more of multi-tasker now running from table to table and with much help from my bunny friends, thanks, you know who you are.