Sunday, May 31, 2009

White, White, White Angoras

Aphroditi as a junior.
Here's lookin' at you mom.

I don't want to pose! stomp!


You caught me again.
Last fall I was showing 11 red-eyed white English Angoras and one black one. It looked like positive and negative. Everyone was asking me why I had so many red-eyed white rabbits or REWs as we call them when showing. It took me a very long time to warm up to the REW rabbit. I didn't really like that pink eye staring at me but in the end the magnificent white coat won me over. I am a sucker for anything fuzzy, fluffy and soft.
Someone once said "Hey, you don't even see the eyes once the furnishing grow." and that was true. The answer to showing 11 REWs is that most of my best bunnies are REWs and even when bred to a colored rabbit, I always get some white babies. Sometimes more that others and last fall that certainly was the case. I very rarely bred REW to REW as all you get is REW. No choice there!
I usually bred a color to a white so I get a rainbow of babies. There is nothing more fun than getting all kinds of colors in a litter. Anyone that knows me will tell you I have a thing about colors and have been working on my blacks for the last few years. Yesterday, my beautiful Grand Champion REW doe Aphroditi (shown above)bred to handsome black buck Grand Champion Tulamores Ashley gave birth to 9 white babies! No rainbow there but boy are they going to be cute. Guess what you all will see me showing this fall?
P.S. If I can ever get my photos to download I will be sure to share a picture.




1 comment:

Whitney said...

I just love white Angoras (cough Ruby cough) And you have the most beautiful white angoras!! I hope you're doing well, I miss seeing you!! :)