Monday, December 14, 2009

New Goats

New Black Goat.
Both joining the herd.

Smaller black goat.
We have added some new members to our goat family, a large, black male goat with some silver to the edge of his coat and a smaller black male goat with a white saddle. They have joined our herd and you would think they had lived here all their lives. They really enjoy playing with our 3 young goats that were born this spring. It is fun to see them frolic around the yard. They also get our goats up and moving around the property grazing on the grass and shrubs instead of laying around sleeping in a big lump.
I drove up to get them in New York State near Utica. I got a chance to visit with Linda, bringing her my famous pumpkin pie, which she seemed to really enjoy. Then the next day we drove over to Maggie Alexander's to pick up the goats and thank goodness Linda was with me because I don't think I would have found her farm by myself as many of the roads didn't have any signs.
Her son helped to catch them and we put them in a crate in the back of my SUV. They stood up most of the way home and I think there were many people on the New York Thruway that wondered what kind of crazy looking dogs that lady from New Jersey had in her car. When I stopped at a rest stop I saw people looking in the back at them too. They did very well for being in the car for over 5 hours.
We kept them in a pen in the barn so our goats could come in and sniff them and get to know them but the little goat got out and joined right in with the herd so we let the bigger one out and he was happy to meet everyone. The only problem is the dogs keep barking at them because they can't figure out what they are. They will get used to them eventually.


No comments: