Monday, May 17, 2010

Seal & Sable

Sable on the left, Seal on the right.
Yin and Yang.

What cute faces.
We have had the pearl color of English Angoras in our lines for almost 15 years. They go back to a really pretty lilac pearl doe name Tallulah. I bred tort into them and we continued to get pearl but in the sable pearl coloring. I have worked on getting lilac back so I can breed back to get the lilac pearl again. We finally had a couple at the right age to breed together but I guess the sable coloring is too strong because we ended up with a seal and a sable. This is a good example of the coloring that you don't see very often see in English Angoras. The seal is often mistakenly called black in the pedigree. The way to distinguish this color is to hold it up in the light and you will see a dark chocolate cast to the coat. As they grow older, the face stays dark but the coat often gets very light gray/brown. The sable looks chocolate at birth but starts to look shaded as they grow older. The face stays a very dark brown and the coat becomes a cafe au lait/coffee and cream color. Both colors are very striking in the adults in full coat as the contrast between face and body wool is very attractive. Both are does so I will be keeping them to breed back to the lilac buck in hopes of increasing the chance of the forever searched for lilac pearl. Tallulah we keep on trying!
PS.-Sorry about the backwards color description I posted before. I must be tired.


1 comment:

Donna M said...

OMG Dru! Those are the cutest babies ever! I can't wait to watch them grow up. Very pretty colors! I love seeing a rainbow of colors in the show classes.