Monday, September 14, 2009

Garden State Sheep and Wool Festival

Well, I attended the G.S.S.&W. Festival on Sept. 12th and 13th hoping to save some money so that I could go to Convention in San Diego this year. Sorry, no photos, the camera is still missing in action. I ran the booth myself for two days. It is amazing how really exhausting it is talking to people about bunnies and angora wool. Sadly, it was cold, cloudy with some drizzle on Saturday but Sunday was cool, sunny and just sometimes breezy. I had made chocolate and white chocolate bunny, sheep and duck lollipops that were a big hit. Angora wool was very popular and is nearly gone. My herbal moth repel sachets were a big hit. I did place 6 bunnies, 2 Jersey Woolies and 4 English Angoras which was pretty good considering the only other person with rabbits placed none.
I did not attend this show last year due to the change of date coinciding with the ARBA Convention in Louisville. The year before that we had much better attendance. The slowing economy really was noticeable with people considering every expenditure. I expect people to consider whether or not to take home bunnies but not a bunny lollipop. Usually, I would always buy something, but this year I was trying to save money also. I even brought my lunch from home on the first day. I was surprised to see some vendors had left when Sunday morning rolled around. The hardest thing for me to see was the kids begging for a bunny and the parents saying they couldn't afford it. I saw one single mom on the way out who's daughter had been begging for a bunny but said her mom couldn't afford it. I pulled the mom aside and offered her a bunny for free. She said thanks but she couldn't afford to pay for the food or the cage. I hope the economy gets better for everyone soon.

No comments: