Monday, July 5, 2010

For the Love of White

Shepherds Avery
GC Shepherds Aegis


GC Shepherds Angel Cake
It took me many years to fall in love with the red-eyed white English Angora. The red eyes kind of spooked me. It wasn't until I grew rabbits with heavy furnishings to cover up the eyes. Then I didn't mind so much. They also had the best wool along with the torts and blend in well with almost any color. Of course, breeding white to white will only get you white. I see the white as a hidden color with a white sheet over it. This can give you a rainbow of colors most times. Once I bred a white to a black and got 9 white babies. That was the Fall when all I had to show was 11 whites and one black rabbit. It was pretty funny. I have been trying to breed for whites and they have not taken. The two new litters that popped out were color to color and color to white. Not really expecting it, each gave me a white baby. They will probably be all bucks as I usually have a bunch of white bucks living here. Surprise!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Dru,
We have a REW and a BEW. Love 'em both! I love the color pink, so I see the "red" eyes as a beautiful shade of pink instead. That helps!
Blessings,
Lisa

Ross Wood Rabbitry said...

Hey,
You have some lovely english angoras. I have met you at shows in NY. I was wondering what you had avaible. Also your grooming tips. I am a youth breeder. Here is my email MitchANator1995@aol.com